When we hosted our first Speedonthewater.com Key West Bash seven years ago, it was a small affair—just a simple way to thank our most loyal supporters. But every year, the party grew. In our fourth year, we joined forces with Offshoreonly.com thanks to Greg Harris, one of the popular website’s most dedicated moderators. Yvonne Aleman, his longtime girlfriend joined the organizing team and off we went with our first combined party at the Sandbar Sports Grill on Greene Street.
In the three years that have followed, the Speedonthewater/Offshoreonly Key West Bash—set this year for Thursday, November 7, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. again at the Sandbar—has become the party of the week during the annual offshore races and the Florida Powerboat Club’s annual Key West Poker Run extravaganza. For the fourth year in a row, proceeds raised during the event will go to Key West-based Samuel’s House, “a safe haven in a sober setting for intact families that have no home.”
And that means we have been busy gathering some killer auction items for returning auctioneer Nolan Ferris, one of the organizers of the 1,000 Islands Charity Fun, and spotter Todd Campbell, the man behind the Hartwell Lake Poker Run, to move during the evening.
Here’s a quick rundown of a few of the silent and live auction items we have nailed down so far:
• The Boyne Thunder Poker Run Experience—includes entry fee, dock space and lodging.
• The 1,000 Islands Charity Poker Run Experience—includes entry fee, dock space and lodging.
• The Hartwell Lake Poker Run Experience—includes entry fee, dock space and lodging.
• Bluave stereo system from Waves and Wheels.
• Marine Design Corp. twin-engine DriveSync system.
• Components from Shaun Torrente Racing.
• One case of 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon from Peacock Family Vineyard.
• One metal print from speedonthewater.com chief photographer Pete Boden.
• Two speedonthewater.com windbreakers.
• Bio-Kleen products.
• Gift packs from Mercury Racing, MTI and Teague Custom Marine.
Of course, this list will grow. We’re a long way from finished.
Complimentary Speedonthewater/Offshoreonly Key West Bash T-shirts are among the many reasons you don’t want to miss this year’s happening.
As he did in 2018, Devin Wozencraft of Wozencraft Marine Insurance is sponsoring complimentary food for the event. Thanks to the Sandbar management, we will have a limited amount of complimentary first-round drink tickets. The Sandbar also is rearranging its furniture, so to speak, to provide more space for our guests. (The place has been elbow-to-elbow during the party for the past three years.) Mike D’Anniballe of Sterling Performance Engines has once again stepped up to sponsor complimentary Speedonthewater.com/Offshoreonly.com T-shirts.
If you’re looking for a great time for a great cause in Key West in early November, this party is for you. See you there.